Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 7


Reality is slowly starting to creep back in.
We are holed up inside with everything locked as looters are at a high.
It's disgusting to think that at a time of crisis that is what we're worried about. No respect. I thought my country was better than that.
Watching the news, day 7, is still grim. No one has been found alive for 5 days, and hundreds are still trapped under rubble. Everytime the thought creeps into my head I well up, then I can't help but cry uncontrollably.
You see on the news, disasters and countries at war. I always have felt so sad and sympathetic for the people affected. But then the news is over, and a comedy comes on.. and all is forgotton.
It's just so different when you are in that disaster.
Yesterday I drove to buy some food, about 10 blocks from my house. When I got to the end of the street I saw sights I never wanted to see.
The whole line of shops had collapsed, to the point where you knew no one had survived that. There were still people inside, trapped... presumed dead. Search and rescue arrived for the first time yesterday, they've been in the city centre a few blocks away looking for people there.
A digger was lifting rubble off piece by piece as the S&R ran in to see if they could see even just a hand or piece of clothing to give them an idea of where to search next. Body bags line the sidewalk, some full, some waiting to be filled.
Now I sympathise on a whole new level with Haiti. Our lives are never going to be the same again.
I remember sitting at work and reading about Haiti on the internet when it happens and feeling so upset for them, I spared what money I had left in my account and donated it online then and there.
Our city needs 10 billion dollars to get back on its feet. And as a country of 4 million... we just don't have it.
I hope others, all over the world do the same as I did. Donate. Even a few dollars. For Christchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment